What injections do you need for Morocco? Read on to find out.
A colorful blend of cultures, Morocco is becoming an increasingly popular tourist destination. However, it’s important to stay healthy when traveling abroad, and you may also need to get some vaccinations done before your trip. Travel injections will prevent you from falling ill in a tropical country, where some diseases are still more present than in western countries. You will find all the details below.
Recommended injections for Morocco
- Hepatitis A: Recommended
- Hepatitis B: Recommended
- Tetanus: Recommended
- Typhoid: You can choose an injection (which will prevent you for 3 years) or oral medication (which will prevent you for 5 years). Those last ones must be kept in a refrigerator
- Rabies: High-risk country. Vaccine recommended for long-stay travelers and those who may come in contact with animals. Be careful with wild dogs and also for monkeys in the Atlas Mountains which might carry rabies.
- Polio: Required if arriving from a region with polio transmission. Considered a routine vaccination for most travel itineraries. Single adult booster recommended.
- TDAP: This is a combination vaccine that is highly recommended (difterie/ whooping cough -pertussis/ tetanus and polio combined)
- COVID-19: Vaccine is recommended but you can still enter Morocco without any problems when being able to show a negative CPR test of maximum of 48 hours. Children under 12 don’t need to show a test.
- Finally, make sure you also have adequate travel insurance.
After having taken the right injections for Morocco, it is recommended you prepare your medicine travel kit. Although there are pharmacies in Morocco, it will be useful to take the following medication with you:
- Personal medication
- Medication for diarrhea and abdominal cramps, for example, Tasectan. Older drugs(such as Imodium) have a stopping effect, which can be good for emergencies.
- Medication with Imodium and Vitamin C.
- Azithromycin, possibly medication for motion sickness.
- Plasters(for walks). Those are difficult to find in Morocco!
- Oral Rehydration Salts are available at the pharmacists.
- For women: tampons for your monthly period are difficult to find outside Marrakech and can be quite expensive. Be prepared.
Pharmacies in Marrakech are quite modern and you will find one in every street. So if necessary, you can find whatever you want. If you go for a hike in the mountains or desert: take your travel kit with you!